Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stubborn Boy

Our little one is still insisting on remaining in the head up position. Not that I blame him, as I too would not want to spend 7 weeks upside down even if I was submerged in water. If he does not turn by 36 weeks, we are scheduling an external cephalic version (ECV) procedure for week 37. In this procedure, with the aid of a heart rate monitor and a sonogram, a doctor manipulates my belly to get the baby to turn. It has a pretty good success rate and the only risk is that if the baby's heart rate drops I would need an emergency Cesarean. This can happen if the procedure puts pressure on the umbilical cord. Because the baby is already full term at 37 weeks, and I would need a Cesarean anyway if he doesn't turn, Drew and I have agreed that this would be worth it. Until then, I am also going to try acupuncture to get the little guy to turn. Hopefully, he will eventually cooperate or this could just be his first of many acts of defiance.

1 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger A-M said...

ugh....stubborn indeed. although it still it a bit early to worry too much. I am hoping he moves himself so you don't have to do the procedure. and if you do have to have a cesarean it really is not the end of the world. In the longrun the birthing process is just a small blip on the road to motherhood. I know it feels like the whole world right now (I remember being there!) but once that little one is in your arms you won't even care how he got there. someone told me once they made their baby move with a bag of frozen peas while in the bathtub...not sure i would recommend that tho :) Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home