Wednesday, February 25, 2009

GAK!!!!


Figure 1

I am currently trying to immerse myself in dissertation revisions and avoid most extraneous distractions (I have limited my facebook exposure to once per day). This time my graduation date of April 17th really needs to stick. If I cannot finish by that date, I will not be defending my PhD this semester. I have 5 of the 9 chapters polished with revisions from most of committee members completely incorporated. I only have major revisions left for Chapter 6. Moreover, I need to add one more background chapter, which is not yet written. It only needs to be about 10 pages, however, and I can probably knock it out in a few days. So why is this taking me so long? Figure 1 shows a representative example of some of the revisions that I need to address. Please note the extensive pencil notes in the margins made by my advisor. EVERY single page of my Chapter 6 looks like this and some are worse. Moreover, there are at least 4 additional analyses that I need to run on these data. Also disheartening is the number of times that my advisor has written "GAK" on various pages of my thesis. Finally, at the end of my Chapter 6 discussion, my advisor so eloquently commented, "I am almost being knocked over by the wind generated from your extensive hand waving". Ugh! Will it ever end?!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger A-M said...

I hope this will make you feel better.

My advisor wrote on one of my chapters, more than halfway through.."finally, the first clear sentence"...I so feel your pain!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I would post something witty here except your advisor would probably scribble on it and say, "GAK!!!!" So I'll just say that I will be incorporating "GAK" into my lexicon.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Pencil can be erased... What revisions?

Hang in there B! The upside is at least they're reading it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home