Thursday, December 16, 2010

A post not about Miles...sorry

It is funny how this blog has evolved over the years. I started out writing about miscellaneous things going on in Drew's and my life, which was really only interesting enough to write about when we were traveling. It then turned into a space for me to vent about my dissertation, and now it is pretty much all about Miles. I am trying to decide if there is any utility to me trying to write an occasional post that is not about how wonderful, charming, cute and brilliant Miles is. With how limited my time is, and how important it is to keep our families involved with how quickly Miles changes, I think that this blog will continue to be 99% Miles. But for some reason tonight, I felt like writing about something else.

So here it goes, I am going to dedicate a paragraph to beer. My favorite brewery is Dogfish Head...sorry Oregon micros. I have posted about their beer before. I love many of their beers, but in particular I am delicately obsessed with the 60 minute IPA. In my opinion this is the perfect beer. When not pregnant, I could drink this IPA any time of day and anywhere. I could drink this beer here and there. I could drink this beer on a plain, I could drink it in the rain. Oh sorry, I slipped back into mom mode for a minute. Anyway, for obvious reasons I have not been consuming much beer these days, but to celebrate the season Drew and I went to Plaza Liquors to pick up some Dogfish. Usually Plaza has the best beer selection in town. Recently, however, the owner of Dogfish Head acquired his own reality TV show on the Discovery channel, and the business end of the brewery went corporate. Because my punk rock days are behind me, I am at the age that I do not begrudge anyone for "selling out". Sam, the owner, is a really nice guy (I met him at a Dogfish Head hosted bocci ball tournament a few years back), and he has kids that will probably want to go to college one day. So if he can go corporate, and finally make big bucks, good for him. Sadly, this does mean that the larger commercial markets, such as California, are getting more of their craft beer, and Arizona is getting the shaft. This, coupled with the growing popularity of the TV show, makes 60 minute quite the commodity. That being said, when Drew and I went to Plaza the other day there was an empty abyss in the cooler that is usually home to all the Dogfish Head. When I asked the clerk about it (who, by the way, is aptly named Stout), he said that if I saw any 60 or 90 minute IPA I should buy it immediately...sigh. Well this morning Drew and I found a bounty of Dogfish at Sunflower Market . Merry Christmas to us! So if you are one of the two people that read this blog and live in Tucson, go to Sunflower and stock up. Happy Festivus!

4 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burton Baton > All Other Dogfish Beers. That is all.

-Jon

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think you should post about whatever you want and I love to hear your thoughts about anything.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I agree Jon, but good luck finding that in Arizona at the moment. I envy your proximity to Milton.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Jenne said...

what Sarah said...and thanks for the tip about Sunflower!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home