Thursday, October 05, 2006

Only 3 to 6 Months



A few months ago I got a new pet. Her name is Isabel and she is a very impressive praying mantis that has made one of my favorite plants her home. Almost every morning when I go out to water, I see her perching on a leaf hunting all the flies and mosquitoes in my yard. Isabel is also very robust and tolerates the occasional dog tail knocking her off the plant quite well. Unfortunately, I looked up the average lifespan of the praying mantis yesterday on the internet and it is only 3-6 months. I think this means that she will only be with us for another month or so but I have really appreciated her keeping the bug population down this summer.

Isabel you will be missed!

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I have a funny story about a praying mantis...actually it is kind of sad as its life span was shortened to a couple of hours, thanks to my kids We spotted it on a bike and I taught them to not squish it. I was moving its legs like it was saying hello and the kids were waving back. But then it hopped on a kid and in the commotion my girl in a wheelchair ran it over. It survived only to be stepped on by a foot. Yikes. Sure was cool though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home