Sunday, May 15, 2011

If Your Kid Can't Take Peanut Butter and Jelly for Lunch, It's Because of My Kid

Miles meets Awesome-O the robot!

Miles now has 4 teeth. His top two broke through the gums on Saturday, or at least that is when I noticed them. Jenne and I also tried to run a 10K, but Miles had the meltdown of all meltdowns in the jog stroller, so we had to stop at 5 miles and I carried Miles the final mile. Oh well, he still had a blast playing with Fiona when we were done.

Sunday was a little rough. Let me preface this by writing that Miles is perfect and sound asleep safely in his bed in great health. This afternoon, Miles did not want to eat the wheat pasta with cheese sauce that I made him, so I prepared him a peanut butter sandwich. He has eaten peanut butter at least 3-4 other times before today, so we thought it was fine. While he was chomping away at his sandwich, I noticed some red spots near his mouth, but it was hard to see because he had food smeared all over his face. I took him to the bathroom and washed his face only to reveal that he was breaking out in hives. I told Drew that we would have to go to the emergency room and we immediately packed up and started driving. Somewhere in here I also called and left a message for the pediatrician. While in the car (Drew was driving and I was in the back), Miles' hives got worse and his right eye started to swell shut. I also thought he was wheezing. Since he was getting worse, I was worried that he could stop breathing before we reached the hospital, which was about 25 minutes away. I decided to call 911. We pulled the car over (near Irvington and Pantano), and waited for them to arrive. In only a few minutes a firetruck, ambulance and 5 paramedics showed up and immediately starting checking out Miles. Miles by the way, thought all of this attention from guys that showed up in awesome trucks was great. He was actually smiling through most of this.

Anyway, Miles' airway was clear, his lungs sounded good, pulse ox was 96%, and his heart rate was normal. Luckily, there were no signs that he was having any respiratory distress. The wheezing was just my imagination getting away from me. The paramedics recommended that we give Miles some benadryl. After they left, the triage nurse from our pediatrician's office also called back and told us the dose to give Miles, and said that we would not need to go to the emergency room unless he got worse. One dose of benadryl and an hour later Miles was back to normal. Although the benadryl made him hyper and a bit loopy.

The paramedics were great. They did not make me feel at all like I had overreacted . One of them also had a young kid that had an allergic reaction to antibiotics and was very sympathetic. Another one had red hair. This made Drew happy, as he assumed that the red head would be very empathetic about bad skin reactions.

So now I guess trips to an allergist and more label reading are in our future. Poor Miles. I hope that we can try some gradual exposure therapy, as I do not want him to have a life deprived of Thai food and peanut satay.

5 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger sandra said...

you poor guys! the parents will suffer the traumatic experience more than miles! Hugs to all, love you!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you both for this scary experience. Good to know that you both remained calm & did all the right things. Your both such wonderful parents, Miles is one lucky little guy. Love to you all
Mom

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry you had to go through that. Glad all is well now. Thanks for keeping us posted. Love to you,Tom and Sharrie

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an elementary school teacher now & you wouldn't believe how many children have bad allergic reactions to peanut butter! Some are carrying epi-pens! I don't remember anyone being allergic when I was growing up. So, what's your theory Mrs PhD a change in the peanut butter chemistry or a change in human biology? Glad that Miles is better---that would make any baby grow more teeth!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sara, a reaction to a potentially life-threatening allergy can NEVER be an over-reaction! You are an excellent mom! Can you come take care of me, now? Hee hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home