Friday, February 18, 2011

My First 10k With Miles

Since Miles was born, I have had a rocky relationship with running. Running and I started out so great. Before Miles turned 3 months, I was back up to over 5 miles. Then I got sick and had a very unfortunate reaction to antibiotics that took me back down to my pre-pregnancy weight but zapped any engergy I may have had to excercise. So running and I had to break up. But I am back on the wagon and slowly working back up to the point that I can start to think about marathon training so I can join my brother in the Santa Barabara marathon.

Today, thanks to Jenne, I took a large leap forward. We met to run around 12:30. It was WINDY. The run started out tough with a hill into the wind that managed to make the jog stroller feel like it was full of bricks rather than precious Miles. Luckily, we turned and got a nice tail wind that made me feel like I could run forever. That was around the point where Jenne asked if I could run a 10k. "Sure", I said. Even though I had not run over 4 miles since July. Miles got fussy around the 5k point, but then cooperated by falling asleep. That is when we had to turn around and finish the final 3 miles running against the wind. Thank God for Jenne's toughness and volunteering to trade off pushing the stroller for me (her little cutie was in child care, so we only had one stroller between the two of us). We managed to push through, although I swear the at some points I felt like we were moving backwards. The run culminated with both Jenne and I pushing the stroller together up the final hill (into the wind). We must have looked hilarious to those driving by. Particularly since we had running form but we were barely inching along. Once it was over, I felt great and now my goal is to get back to running double digit milage before April.

In addition to her heroic effort with the jog stroller, Jenne also maganed to spot a shoe that Miles lost on our outbound journey.

4 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger sandra said...

way to go jenne! good luck!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Super women!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger MichelleR said...

yay! Does this mean we might help each other train some?! I signed up for the San Francisco marathon (July 31st). I'm more concerned with my ability to keep up with the middle-of-the-week runs than the long weekend runs, not that that will be a piece of cake either. But I could sure use a running partner from time to time. I figure that since I'm returning to work full time in a couple of weeks, I'll have to do my work-week runs after Atticus goes to bed. If you're up for running at that time too...

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Michelle - That sounds awesome! I would love a running partner for after bedtime runs. I feel bad running before Miles goes to bed when he has been in daycare all day, so that sounds perfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home